I Spy Eye Safety for My Eyes
Written By: Sherri Oliver
Personal wellness encompasses everything that makes us the best us we can be – financial, mental, spiritual, physical and social all play their parts. As you concentrate on all-around wellness in 2022, consider your eyes. March is Workplace Eye Wellness month. Started by Prevent Blindness to raise awareness of digital eye strain, this campaign shares “best practices” for protecting your eyes.
Our phones, tablets, laptops, desktops and any other digital device has the potential to damage the eyes. A headache, tired, dry, blurred or burning eyes are all symptoms of digital eye strain. For this, Prevent Blindness suggests the 20-20-20 Rule: Every 20 minutes look away from your screen and look at an object 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
Other ways to combat digital eye strain:
• Place your screen 20 to 26 inches. away from your eyes and a little bit below eye level
• Change your lighting to lower glare and harsh reflections
• Get a chair you can adjust
• Choose screens that can tilt and swivel
Safety eyewear protection for those in construction or manufacturing:
• Non-prescription and prescription safety glasses
• Face shields
• Welding helmets
• Full-face respirators
For more on Workplace Eye Wellness, click here.